- Founded in 2005 as a society (SLROMS) for congress participation and organization, developer of research equipment & testing devices for athletes and providing training guidelines for patients etc.
- In 2017 LIROMS was established as a non-profit organization to promote clinical and fundamental research in the fields of orthopedics, sports medicine and sports sciences.
- Bridge builder between research (Luxembourg Institute of Health), clinical practice (Centre Hospitalier de Luxembourg) and sports (COSL/LIHPS).
- Recognised internationally (by the International Olympic Committee, China Table Tennis Training Center-Europe and by affiliation to the European Society for Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy) and nationally (Luxembourg Institute for High Performance in Sports, Comité Olympique et Sportif Luxembourgeois, Luxembourg Institute of Health).
- Since 2019 LIROMS is the representative of Luxembourg in a french-speaking consortium together with the INSEP/France, the University of Geneva/Switzerland, the University of Liège/Belgium and the INS of Québec/Canada as the worldwide 11th Research Center for Prevention of Injury and Protection of Athlete’s Health (French-speaking network for Injury and Illness prevention & performance Research in Sport).
- Also including tasks of knowledge transfer (Académie Luxembourgeoise de Médecine, de Kinésithérapie et des Sciences du Sport).